Tuesday 13 March 2007

Letter to the Editor

There has been an unhealthy stampede to sign up to MP Colin Challen's Morley Today campaign. To do so is admirable as it appears to have noble aims. However, I am skeptical of taking these things at face value because there is something Macarthyist about pledges like this: if you don't sign, then by default you have ticked the NO box which says "I'm a Racist" next to it. Where is the third box that says "No thanks, I'm not interested, don't pre-judge me because I choose to ignore this."?

And now, in Morley Mirror, Labour's pre-election election leaflet, it all becomes apparent. It is little more than a partisan attempt to get Labour back into local power.

People of Morley, we have been suckered. I think Colin Challen needs to tell us a lot more about where this idea came from, when he can make time from saving the planet, that is.

No comments: